Clayton is located in the center of Barbour County and is the county seat. Clayton is filled with antebellum architecture and home of the only antebellum octagonal-shaped home, which is owned by the City of Clayton. Clayton also is home of the Whiskey Bottle Tombstone, which is included in “Ripley’s Believe It Not.” The 20,000-acre refuge on the Barbour County Wildlife Management Area is located here. Camping areas, picnic pavilions, hunting, and fishing are all available within minutes of downtown Clayton.
- Population: 3,000
- Location: Clayton is in southeast Alabama. Clayton is the county seat. It is about 22 miles west of Eufaula.
- Climate: 212 sunshine days
- Average relative humidity: 74%
- Rain: 52 inches annually
- Cost of Living: Below average
- Town Hall: (334) 775-9176
- Clayton Library: (334) 775-3506
- Chamber of Commerce
- Wehle Nature Center
- More Information
- The Clayton Record